Washington — Nikki Haley has requested Secret Service protection, citing increasing threats she has received as she runs for the Republican presidential nomination against former President Donald Trump.
Haley, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and now the only major Republican Party candidate to challenge Trump, told the Wall Street Journal On Monday, his campaign had “multiple problems.”
“It’s not going to stop me from doing what I need to do,” she said.
CBS News has contacted the Department of Homeland Security, which reportedly received the request, for comment.
Haley is escorted by personal security officers at campaign events in South Carolina, and local law enforcement is also present. Heightened security was not the norm during his campaign stops in Iowa and New Hampshire leading up to those nomination races.
Last week, Haley told reporters that threats are a reality when she runs for president and indicated that her campaign aims to increase security.
“Part of running for public life is dealing with the threats that are out there,” she said when asked by CBS News about her security situation. “That’s not going to deter me. Does that mean we have to put a few more bodies around this? Yes, that’s good. But at the end of the day, we’re going to go out there and touch every hand. We ‘ “We will answer all questions. We’re going to make sure we’re there and doing everything we need to do, within the scope of the game.”
Haley was recently the target of a swatting attempt, in which a crime is falsely reported to lead law enforcement to a specific location. She told NBC’s “Meet the Press” last month that she wasn’t home, but her elderly parents were there with their caregiver.
“The last thing you want is to see multiple law enforcement officers with guns drawn pointing at my parents and thinking something happened,” she said. “It’s a horrible situation. It put law enforcement in danger. It put my family in danger, and you know it…