Following a bruising defeat in the Nevada Republican primary on Tuesdayformer governor of South Carolina. Nikki Haley sought to ignore the fact that she didn’t come in second to “any of these candidates” — her third straight loss in the presidential race so far — and said her campaign was focusing on other states taller.
She also reiterated that she never saw much point in seriously competing with the former president. Donald Trump in Nevada, which is organize two different nomination competitions: the primary she ran in, which did not award delegates to earn the GOP nomination, and the party-run caucuses on Thursday, which will.
“We always knew Nevada was a scam,” Haley said on Fox Business Wednesday. “Trump rigged it from the start. There are many press articles about it. (…) They wanted us to pay $55,000 to just attend their caucus. So we didn’t go through with it. a day or a dollar. We weren’t there.” I even worry about it.”
Haley’s campaign previously called the caucuses “rigged,” an allegation the Nevada Republican Party has repeatedly denied.
Haley said on Fox Business that her current focus is on South Carolina, Michigan and Super Tuesday, March 5, when many states will vote simultaneously.
Olivia Perez-Cuba, a spokesperson for Haley’s campaign, released a statement Tuesday following the former governor’s loss, echoing Haley’s sentiments.
“Even Donald Trump knows that when you play the slots, the house wins,” she said, adding, “We are full steam ahead in South Carolina and beyond.”
Haley had largely avoided campaigning in Nevada. Instead of being in the state on Tuesday, she attended fundraisers in California, where she is also holding campaign events throughout the day.